Tuesday 29 July 2014

PHOTO BOOK: THAT TIME DFA1979 TOOK US TO CALIFORNIA

So I finally organized myself enough to complete a photo book from mine and Graeme's holiday in California a few years ago. Yeah, you read that right, it's actually been 3 years since we went on this holiday, and I haven't gotten around to making the book until now. But alas, it's finally here and I thought I'd share a few pages!


It's a funny story actually, how we ended up going to California in the first place. We were living in Scotland and I was browsing festivals and looking at the Coachella line-up, and was so excited about it that I called up Graeme and suggested we go. The conversation went something along the lines of this:

"Ok, so there's this festival with the most amazing line-up. SO many awesome bands are playing," I say and list half the line-up, and finish with "...and Death From Above." There's a silence on the other end of the line. Graeme and I are both huge DFA fans, and at the time, they were split up and had been for years (he saw them in Edinburgh many years ago, and still rubs it in my face). "Ok, that's actually sounding really good," he finally says, "But I bet it's expensive. How much?" "It's not that bad actually, only 269 dollars," I answer in my most enthusiastic voice. "No, that's not actually that bad... wait, what? Dollars? What do you mean? Hilde, where is this fesival?"


And while he was very skeptical at first, he ended up agreeing to go, with Death From Above 1979 being the winning argument (hence the title of the photo book). We ended up renting a car in LA and driving up to San Fransisco, where we stayed at a friend's house and I got to meet up with some old high school friends, before driving back to LA to pick up my friend from the airport who decided to join us at Coachella as she was flying from Nepal to El Salvador and stopping in LAX anyway. We then headed to the festival and stayed at a 5 star resort in Palm Springs. It was a pretty awesome holiday (especially considering it was a bit of a spontaneous one and very little planning went into itwe bought my friend's ticket on the day of the festival from some Scottish guy we met there, and the only reason we ended up at the resort in Palm Springs was because camping got sold out so quickly and my friend's mom had a hotel time share), so I'm happy to finally have this photo book made. Now, maybe I should go look at other random festival line-ups around the world and book something again? I hear Fuji Rock is supposed to be pretty good...?



On a different note, we're now back from our holiday in Spain! We had a fantastic time, and I took loads of pictures so I'll post a couple of those soon. Have several rolls of film to develop! I also managed to get myself sick though, so I'm currently spending my evening on the couch with my duvet, watching David Attenborough and eating Graeme's homemade chicken soup. It's the best medicine!

8 comments:

  1. How fun to take such a spontaneous big trip! We have done many spontaneous concerts within 8 hours of driving.. but that is pretty low expense. This is so awesome. It seems like you had a really wonderful trip. It is fun to have books, albums or scrapbooks of photos to look back on. This book is really gorgeous. Glad you had fun in Spain, so sorry you are sick. XO-Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooft, 8 hours is a pretty long drive! I could get to Sweden in that time! And boom, and idea was born, I should drive to Sweden haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kjempefin fotobok! :) Hvor har du bestilt/laget den?
    Er noe sånt jeg har lyst å lage også fra feriene våre, men ser det kan ta sin tid, hehe. Det får bli et langsiktig prosjekt. Har lyst å ha med en del tekst i bøkene også. Det er så stilig når bildene går over to sider. Utrolig fin bok, minimalistisk og ren. Akkurat sånn jeg liker det også.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastisk historie, og nydelige bilder som alltid! Jeg tar gjerne i mot alle Cali-tips du måtte ha for vi reiser over om noen uker og jeg gleder meg vilt! Tusen takk for hyggelig kommentar på kleshengerene mine forresten! Og beklager at jeg er usannsynlig treg å svare, men jeg har levd etter mottoet "stengt grunnet fint vær" i sommer. Skal nok skjerpe meg på bloggefronten igjen etter hvert ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. så kjekt! Kunne godt tenkt meg en tur til Cali igjen, det var så mye vi ikke fikk sett! vet ikke om jeg har noen sånne spesielle tips, men hvis jeg skulle ha dratt igjen hade nok yosemite og disney hadde vært på programmet!

      Delete
  5. That family on the swings is having a great time! I can't wait to look at this book properly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. family role models or what? if i ever have kids i want to be the kind of parent who takes their kids to cool festivals!

      Delete